Senior Web Developer – Wokingham
£40,000 - £60,000
Our client’s business is about providing digital solutions. They love solving problems. They’re very clear about their shared values (Skilful, Transparent, Empathetic, Ethical, Reliable), in everything they say and do. They work together – everything they achieve are results from the combined contributions of their team – to provide a quality client-focused service.
They are a technical development agency, they won’t compromise technical performance for aesthetics. Their five core production principles underpin the way they approach their work: accessibility and inclusivity; carbon impact; best practice coding; performance and security.
They are a small agency with a big heart and put a big emphasis on an open, honest and transparent approach to business and prioritising the wellbeing of their team members.
About the role
This role will complement their existing team of developers who fulfil the delivery requirements for all client projects. The core of the role will be to ensure that the front-end of the digital product does everything the user needs while the back-end is easy to navigate at the same time as being delivered on time and to budget.
You will have discrete responsibility for delivering assigned project tasks, as well as the opportunity to work closely with other members to ensure they deliver the best products using their combined skills. Roles are flexible/hybrid but you must be willing to commute to their Wokingham office.
How you’ll help their business:
• Create quality WordPress products for their clients that are accessible, performant, secure and with a low carbon impact, by using best practice coding and processes.
• Solve complex technical problems with pragmatic and commercially-aware solutions
• Architect and build WordPress plugins and themes using Block Editor
• Produce front-end work accurately to artwork
• Test features thoroughly in different browsers and environments
• Integrate with external APIs
• Create and maintain MySQL databases
• Carry out code refactoring and optimisation of existing code
• Document technical approach and code so other developers can understand and contribute to it
• Produce user documentation and provide client training
• Deliver assigned project tasks and delegate work to others
• Review colleagues’ code and proactively provide constructive feedback to maintain their quality assurance process
• Proactively mentor other developers
• Learn and test new technologies, frameworks and languages
• Share your knowledge of new trends and advancements in web development and keep us at the forefront of the WordPress community
You display the personal characteristics represented in their company values of being skilful, transparent, empathetic, ethical and reliable. You are self-sufficient and a problem-solver, who is happy to work independently, but want to feel part of a team. You’re a team player who wants to be part of, and contribute to, a fun and positive working culture. You want to work at a company with ambitious growth plans and be a key part of the decision making that enables that growth. You’re happy to roll your sleeves up and get stuck into coding as much as working determining approaches and guiding innovation.
You take pride in your work, have a passion for delivery a quality service to clients, and want to work somewhere with integrity that is continually evolving and gives you the opportunity to grow within it.
• Proven experience working in a similar role in an agency environment
• Proficiency with modern development workflow including experience with version control systems and build tools (e.g. Webpack, Mix, npm, Composer)
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain positive relationships with clients and team members
• Ability to manage a complex range of tasks, colleague expectations and meet deadlines
• A desire to proactively remain at the forefront of current and emerging technologies
• Passion for user experience
• Personal alignment to our company values
• Commercial experience with Laravel
• Test driven development experience
• Experience with Jira, Confluence and Tempo
• Coaching, mentoring or line management experience
What we’d like to offer you:
• Competitive industry salary of £50,000-£65,000, subject to experience and skillset
• Eligibility for our bonus scheme based on company performance
• Flexible working between 9am-5.30pm Monday to Friday
• 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
• Flexible benefits package, designed to let you choose what is most valuable to you, including: enhanced employer pension contributions, personal or family health care
• Perks for discounted memberships, shopping, freebies
• Cycle to work and electric vehicle schemes
• Monthly team recognition awards
• A relaxed, but professional, friendly working environment
• Personal development plan and training
• Team socials throughout the year